During the Venetian occupation (1204 - 1669), the need for the closer presence of Venetians in Crete made them construct a large number of "Neoria" (arsenal) in Chania, where the ships would be repaired during the winter. The construction of the first two "Neoria" in Chania was completed in 1526. In 1593, sixteen "Neoria" had already been constructed.
In 1599, the south "Neoria" complex was completed with the construction of the 17th "Neorio". In 1607, during the expansion of the northeast rampart, begins the construction of 5 more "Neoria" at the heart of the port to the east. Two of them were completed, however, only the walls to the arch of the third one were constructed. During the Turkish period, the lack of maintenance works in the port and the degradation of the role of “Neoria" also resulted in the alteration of the original function of “Neoria” which were now used as military storage spaces. From the initial "Neoria" complex with 17 "Neoria", nine were demolished.
Nowadays, a group of 7 continuous domes is preserved-along with another one further to the west, the "Grand Arsenal" (today, the Centre of Mediterranean Architecture). Only two "Neoria" are preserved intact from "Moro" complex, at the heart of the port, while in the position of the demolished "Neoria", the stone building of the new customs of Chania was constructed, which is today surrounded by two squares.
Municipal Unit: Chania
Address: Venetian Port of Chania
Source; Municipality Of Chania